The official start of summer is just days away and if you’re feeling anything like us, it probably can’t come soon enough! Beach days? We’ll take some of those. A break from homeschooling? Yes please! While life might not be exactly back to normal, there’s just something about summer, isn’t there?
But before you go rushing out the door, may we make one suggestion…
Keep. Your. Immune. System. Strong.
While we will all benefit from the boost of vitamin D at this time of year, there are other things we can do to stay healthy. One of our favorite immune-supporting protocols comes in the form of delicious, ice-cold summer smoothies. The following are three of our favorite immune-supporting summer smoothies — packed full of goodness with the added bonus of collagen peptides. Enjoy!
PIÑA COLADA SMOOTHIE
Does anything say summer better than a Piña Colada? We think not. But more importantly, pineapple is high in vitamin C (a great immune supporter) as well as other vitamins, enzymes, and antioxidants. Strawberries are another great source of vitamin C while also delivering polyphenols — compounds with antioxidant properties, which may protect against the viruses.
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup frozen pineapple and strawberries
- 1 serving LonoLife Coconut Pineapple Collagen Peptides
1) Combine ingredients and blend until smooth.
WATERMELON VANILLA COLLAGEN SMOOTHIE
The superhero of this supercharged smoothie is none other than fan favorite, watermelon. Full of antioxidants, vitamin C, and electrolytes such as potassium this smoothie packs a punch when it comes to rehydration and immune-supporting ingredients. It also includes coconut milk, which contains a lipid called lauric acid. Many researchers believe that lauric acid supports the immune system. And let’s not forget the added bonus of our LonoLife Vanilla Collagen Peptides!
- 2 cups frozen Pitaya Foods watermelon cubes
- 1 serving of LonoLife Vanilla Collagen Peptides
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
1) Combine ingredients and blend together, but only just enough to get the mixture combined to a slushy texture.
2) Serve slushy right away and enjoy! *Option to freeze your own watermelon cubes. Simply cut the watermelon and freeze for about 1 hour.
GOOD MORNING COFFEE SMOOTHIE
Is it really possible to turn your coffee fix into an immune-supporting, energy-fueling, vegetable-containing smoothie? We say it is! This recipe is unique in that it delivers your daily caffeine fix (or top up) while also providing a nutrient-packed drinkable “meal.” Cocoa is a food relatively rich in polyphenols, which makes it a potent antioxidant and has been shown to positively influence the immune system. Cauliflower (yes, we even manage to sneak some good ol’ cruciferous vegetable into this one) is a good source of fiber and vitamins. And bananas are a powerhouse of nutrients, from calcium, magnesium and manganese, to iron, folate, potassium, and niacin. Drink up!
- ¾ cup brewed coffee, cooled in the fridge
- 1 frozen medium ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
- ¾ cup frozen cauliflower (or ½ cup ice)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk, plus more if necessary
- 1/2 tablespoon cacao powder (or use unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 packed LonoLife Vanilla Protein Collagen Peptides
1) Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until all ingredients are well combined. If necessary, add in more almond milk to thin the smoothie.
2) Pour into a cup and enjoy!