When Dr Gary Chapman wrote his well-renowned book The Five Love Languages, he skipped what we consider to be one of the most important: food! Food — the true language of love — can be used to connect people through a shared enjoyable experience, and to show someone how much you care.
When it comes to your loved one, what better way to make their Valentine’s Day than by making a delicious, wholesome dessert? If it’s packed full of nutritious ingredients too? Well, that’s just a lovely bonus!
Here are four of our favorite, Valentine’s Day-approved, nutritious AND delicious dessert recipes. Enjoy!
KETO FRIENDLY PEANUT BUTTER CUPS
Hey there buttercup! What could be sweeter (and more considerate of your loved one’s diet) than a keto version of this all time favorite treat? Made with healthy fats and collagen peptides, these elevate the basic PB Cup to new heights.
- 30g coconut butter
- 30g coconut oil
- 60g natural peanut butter
- 10g natural cocoa powder
- 1 serving LonoLife Mocha Collagen Peptides
- 5g monk fruit sweetener
1) In a microwave-safe bowl, add coconut butter, coconut oil and peanut butter. Microwave in intervals of 15 seconds, until melted.
2) Add cocoa powder, LonoLife Mocha Collagen Peptides, and monk fruit sweetener.
3) Spoon out about three tablespoons of the mixture into 6 silicone muffin liners, or double lined paper muffin liners.
4) Place in the freezer for one hour and then enjoy!
STRAWBERRY LIME FROZEN YOGURT
So simple. So clean. So totally Valentine’s-Day-perfect. This frozen yogurt is made with just a few delicious ingredients (think Greek yogurt and raw honey) and takes just minutes to make. What’s not to love?!
- 4 cups frozen strawberries
- Juice and zest from 1 lime
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 packet LonoLife Cucumber-Lemon Collagen Peptides
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Transfer into a freezer-friendly container with lid. Place into the freezer for 4-6 hours. Serve and enjoy!
FUDGY BEET BROWNIES
There are no rules that say you can’t have superfoods in your desserts, and this recipe is here to prove it. Featuring beautiful beets and our Mocha Collagen Peptides, these brownies are as good for you (and your special someone) as they taste.
- 13g (about 2.5 teaspoons) LonoLife Mocha Collagen Peptides
- 4 beets, cooked, peeled, and pureed (Tip: bake in foil at 425 for about 45-50 minutes, allow to cool before continuing)
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (bar form)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Prepare an 8×8 metal baking dish and line with parchment paper.
3) Whisk together the collagen peptides, baking powder, cacao powder, coconut flour and kosher salt. Set aside.
4) In a large saucepan over low heat, combine the butter and the unsweetened chocolate bar and stir occasionally until both ingredients are melted and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Once cool, whisk in the vanilla extract, beets, sugar, and the eggs. Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined and then fold in the chocolate chip morsels.
5) Pour your batter into the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for about 33 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack before removing from the pan and cutting into pieces. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
(original recipe adapted from Jackie Cooks and Drinks.)
COCONUT CHOCOLATE PROTEIN BALLS
Oh, sweet chocolate, how we love you. And how your Valentine will love YOU when you serve these little delights up after a romantic dinner. Full of goodness like chia seeds, rolled oats, and collagen, these are almost too good to taste this good!
- 1 serving LonoLife Mocha Collagen Peptides
- 1 cup ground rolled oats
- ¾ cup toasted unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup of peanut butter
- ½ cup ground chia or flax seeds
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix everything in a big bowl, form balls with your hands, and place in the fridge to harden
- To make the coating, microwave 2 tbsp coconut oil and more chocolate chips and mix
Whether you’ve got 5 minutes or 25, why not set a little time aside this Valentine’s Day to give your special someone a treat they will really appreciate? Besides, this is one gift you get to enjoy too!